Your child is here

Stage 1

Graduates from Canadian universities are in high demand, both in Canada and internationally.

Coming to university is a way of broadening your child’s horizons; learning more about a subject area that interests them, making friends and taking part in social activities. But what else will university life mean for your child?

By studying in Canada, your child will have opportunities to develop important workplace skills and ability to think independently, which will significantly increase their chances of employment.

English is the international language of business, science and technology. By studying and living in Canada they will be immersed in the language and have the opportunity to master their communication skills.

On graduation, your child will be part of both the Navitas and university alumni, opening up a whole network of contacts and opportunities. Have a look below at the sorts of careers they’ll be able to move into on graduation.

Potential Career Average Graduate Salary in 2013
Accountant $36,400
Advertising, Marketing and Sales Manager $47,900
Agricultural Representative, Consultant and Specialist $30,200
Architect $43,700
Biologist and related scientist $30,600
Chemist $43,100
Civil Engineer $43,100
Computer and Information Systems Manager $47,400
Conference and Event Planner $21,800
Dentist $60,100
Electrical Engineer $30,000
Financial Planner $35,900
Graphic Designer $25,000
Health Care Aide $34,300
Health Care Manager $55,000
Journalist $27,000
Lawyer $58,300
Mathematician/Statistician/Actuary $35,100
Mechanical Engineer $45,000
Medical Laboratory Technician $52,800
Midwife $75,600
Optometrist $64,300
Pharmacist $83,300
Physiotherapist $57,000
Public Relations Officer $30,000
Teacher $44,900
Web Technician $30,200
After graduation

International graduates from Canadian higher education institutions also have the opportunity to work in Canada for up to three years following the completion of their program.

To work in Canada after they graduate, your child must apply for a work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP). To obtain a work permit after their graduation, they must meet the following requirements:

  1. Your child must have studied full time in Canada and they must have completed a program of study that lasted at least eight months.

  2. In addition, your child must have graduated from:

    • a public post-secondary institution, such as a college, trade/technical school, university or CEGEP (in Quebec), or

    • a private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as public institutions, or

    • a private secondary or post-secondary institution (in Quebec) offering qualifying programs of 900 hours or longer leading to a diplôme d’études professionnelles (DEP) or an attestation de spécialisation professionnelle (ASP), or

    • a Canadian private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees but only if they are enrolled in one of the programs of study leading to a degree as authorized by the province and not in all programs of study offered by the private institution.

Your child must apply for a work permit within 90 days of receiving written confirmation from their partner institution indicating that they have met the requirements for completing their academic program.

A Post-Graduation Work Permit cannot be valid longer than the length of their studies in Canada. If the official length of their program of study is less than eight months your child is not eligible for this program. Less than two years but more than eight months they may get a work permit for a period no longer than the length of their program of study, for example, if they studied for nine months, a work permit may be issued for a period of nine months. If their degree is two years or more a work permit may be issued for three years

Information provided by the 2013 Career Planning Guide 

Life as a university graduate

Photo of Vandita Bhargava

Vandita Bhargava
Country Manager - India

Phone: +91-11-42029840
Mobile: +91-8130922556
Email: [email protected]

Got a question? I’m here to help!

My name is Vandita Bhargava. I’ve been working for Navitas here in India for many years. I’m here to help your child make the right choice about where to study in Canada. You can contact me at any time to discuss your child’s study options in Canada, or at one of our colleges worldwide.